> License Plate Scanners

Geesh... Its already here! Thats scary.

What ever happened to "probable cause"?
Who is it going to be left up to to define "suspicious"?
That is Harrassment ready to happen.

I was all fine with the "1 unit per station" to encourage use for a sole
purpose, such as identifying cars, when it snowed.

The scary part was the closing statement "  we want to verify the return on
investment before buying more". Which infers measurment on city's financial
gain, not public good.

The truth is... A license plate scanner, is no different than what is done
already manualy. If an officer notices something suspicious, they call it
in, and wait for a response.
The major difference is, the old way takes time and effort, and therefore
the officer thinks twice before prematurely harassing a driver, and only
calls it in, if there is a legitimate concern to call it in and verify the
plate. The problem now is... its just to easy. It will likely encourage
abuse.

With that said, I'll close by saying.... I'd rather see Police Officier's
with scanners, than Street light poles. Atleast then there is some human
intervention and descretion, to justify a scan.
And I'd like to think that we can trust our local Police Officer's to use
them with good intent, to protect apposed to harrass.  And that consumers
will do their best to be lawful.

I'm not sure what bothers me more... Invasion of privacy issues, or if I
just don't like law inforcement automated by robots.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband