I made that mistake... The straw that broke the camel's back was when I
got a call at 11:30 PM on Sunday that "I am having problems getting my
Xbox to work.  It says I need a key."  I realized at that point, as I
was waking from my slumber, that it was not a good idea.  I don't
remember my response, but I am sure I wasn't as nice as I would have
been normally...

We use Asterisk and during business hours, we answer calls as much as we
can.  After hours, unless they are paying business rates, it says on our
menu if they are a residence calling for support, press X and you can
leave a message.  If you are a business or a residential customer in
need of immediate support, press Y.  If they press Y, the first
announcement says Note:  for all residential customers calling for after
hours support, there will be a $75 charge for each hour on their next
bill.

It gives the customers that "HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW!!!" the ability to get
support, especially for that executive that has to have a report done at
3:00 AM for the financial meeting he will be attending and he can't
figure out his email settings on a work laptop that has never been home
to setup.  We can now justify paying off-hour rates to my techs.

Eric Rogers
Precision Data Solutions, LLC
(317) 831-3000 x200