I carry a very high deductible (like $10K per incident). I keep
insurance strictly for liability coverage and for catastrophic
coverage like if our office burns down or a tornado comes through and
wipes everything out. My rates are low and I do not plan to ever make
a claim. Insurance companies are in business to make money like
everyone else. If you use it on small claims then you eat away their
profit and they have little choice but to consider you as a higher
risk. Cable TV companies and power companies do not make frequent
small claims. They take the same approach as I outline above I think.
At a minimum you MUST have liability coverage in order to locate on
leased space on towers, poles, etc. There is value in them covering
you for up to a million or two in liability even if a claim is never
made. I hope that WISPs think hard about how they interact with
insurance companies and how we as an industry are perceived by our
carriers. If WISPs as an industry are seen as companies who make
frequent claims for any loss then I am guessing this will become a
factor in how all WISPs are rated for insurance. Do yourselves a favor
and plan NOT to make claims on insurance. Buy extra gear for your
towers for replacements and budget a percentage of your gear as having
to be replaced each year for upgrades, loss, etc. It is cheaper to
self-insure your gear than to think you can have your insurance carry
you for every little claim for lightening damage and such.
Scriv