On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 10:50 -0500, Jeff Ehman wrote:
> First, this is an area with people not used to high
> speed internet so I think it would be very tough for
> them to figure out how to connect to the access point.

This is not something that many would have a difficult time with.  I
think that a bigger reality is that most of the people that would see it
would be either transient customers (not residents) OR they would
already have a broadband connection and be setting up laptops to connect
to their own AP/Router in their office/home.

> Also, I would assume that not too many people out there have a
> need for a laptop or travel around with one if they do.

This is sort of the point I was making above.  Most people who are in
their "home area" would not be searching for a new connection with their
laptops.

> Third, it would be much easier to make a simple flyer and mail it
> then trying to buy/configure/install a wireless hotspot.  ESPECIALLY
> if you are looking at Mikrotik and have never used it before.

Setting up a Mikrotik Hotspot is something that can be done in less than
30 minutes in most cases.  This is not that hard to do.  The real
problem with the hotspot idea is that most hotspots (including Mikrotik)
will require internet access in order to function correctly.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * WISPA Board Member               *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * Wired or Wireless Networks       *