Routing will help considerably, and also coming with reasonable
bandwidth control plans for all of the customers, enforced at the AP.
I can get 40-50 people on an 802.11b AP with mostly 384k and 640k
bandwidth packages.    These are also bursted, and half speed on the
upload, so on a download a 384k user will get a 384k burst for 30
seconds, then is throttled down to 192 until the speed drops off.   On
upload, it bursts to 192k at first, then drops to 88k.   This has worked
very well for me and I have several thousand customers deployed with
this methodology.   Very little if any hidden node problems with this setup.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com