This is not true. Or else every minipci card would have to be tested and
certified with every single laptop they are being installed into. A SBC or a
laptop motherboard is a class B regulated device. If it passes the class B
compliance testing your allowed to installed any FCC certified transmitter
into said board be it a Wi-Fi card (mini-pci, pc card, pc express card) or
for that matter a telcom modem card of any formfactor.
When it comes to computer hardware FCC relaxed the regulations years back to
have the Class B type devices that are self compliance testing to allow
computer manufactures to market and sell computers without having to type
certify the entire solution as it once used to be. This created the computer
industry as we know it today where you can buy any motherboard, case,
powersupply, video card etc that are each class B type certified (where
appropriate required) and assemble into a complete solution and get a FCC
certified telcom modem or Wi-Fi card and install it into the unit without
requiring a FCC certification of the entire solution.

If they had not allowed this easing of regulations every DIY computer guy,
every small computer sales and repair shop in the US would daily violate the
FCC regulations.

A SBC board after all is a miniature all in on motherboard.

/ Eje Gustafsson
CTO
WISP-Router, Inc.