From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org]on
Behalf Of Josh Luthman
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:15 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Customers are great

*Slams head on desk*

Does it make any logical sense for those two little rabbit ear
antennas in your house to be able to reach Chicago?

On 5/20/09, Jack Unger <jun...@ask-wi.com> wrote:
> Seriously, "wireless" technology keeps advancing faster than anyone's
> ability to educate the general public about what "wireless" is.
>
> Steve Barnes wrote:
>> I operate a Fixed Wireless ISP in a 1 county area in eastern Indiana.  I
>> got a call from a client this morning very upset that her internet was
>> down.  My secretary very nicely tried to help the client understand that
>> we would help figure out the problem but that we had not received any
>> other calls from other clients on the tower and that we would have a tech
>> help her out.
>>
>> The tech gets on the phone and starts looking at the tower and the radio
>> to see that there is no issue and can even see that the ARP table shows a
>> connection to their router at the house.
>>
>> Tech: So my secretary says that your internet isn't working.
>> Client: Right, it worked earlier today on this same laptop but now
>> nothing.
>> Tech:  Has anything changed today, power blink or anything that you are
>> aware of.
>> Client: not that I know of.
>> Tech: Have you gone through the process of rebooting the Radio and
Router.
>> Client: How am I supposed to do that.
>> Tech: Just unplug the power to those two units.
>> Client: I can't get to them right now.
>> Tech: Oh I am sorry we must have installed them in a way that is
>> inaccessible, can you tell me how your laptop is hooked up wireless or
via
>> the Ethernet cable.
>> Client: Well its wireless at home and its wireless here in my car.
>> Tech: Not that it's my business but why are you in your car.
>> Client: I'm on my way to Chicago.
>> Tech: So your not at home.
>> Client: No, 75 miles from home.
>> Tech: Do you have a wireless card from you cellular carrier.
>> Client: No I have your service.  You guys said that if I bought a router
>> could use it anywhere.
>> Tech: Anywhere in your home.
>> Client: What good will that do me in Chicago.
>> Tech: I'm Sorry Our service is a Fixed Wireless internet service to your
>> location and the wireless router lets the signal go 300ft at the most.
>> That is your service area. That's what you get for $39 a month.
>> Client: That's really great that's not what I want.  How do I get a
>> contract that will cover the whole country.
>> Tech: Verizon or sprint.
>> Client: But I can't even use my cellophane at home the signal is so bad.
>> Tech: It's a better signal then your router will be in Chicago.
>>

>> Steve Barnes
>> RCWiFi Wireless Internet Service

-------
>> WISPA Wants You! Join today!
>> http://signup.wispa.org/

> Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
> Author - "Deploying License-Free Wireless WANs"
> Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
> www.ask-wi.com  818-227-4220  jun...@ask-wi.com
> Follow me on Twitter - "wireless_jack"

------
> WISPA Wants You! Join today!
> http://signup.wispa.org/

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

"When you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains, however
improbable, must be the truth."
--- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

----