From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Mark Nash
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:00 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] Grounding Dragonwave Horizon Compact

We're installing a Dragonwave Horizon Compact system and I'm not quite sure
how to ground it.

First off, this unit has dual copper ethernets (1 for PoE/Data, 1 for
Management).  The unit is completely outside powered via PoE.

We know how to ground the radio above, and the cat5 below at the PoE /
Lightning Arrestor.

What we don't know is what to do with the ethernet cable above.

We're using the Belden 7919A outdoor shielded cable, as recommended by the
Dragonwave Quick Reference Guide.

Can someone tell me if the ethernet cables need to be grounded near the
radio at the top of the tower?

This is on a water tower, btw, and we have a ground cable going from the
ground rod directly to the radio (#6, about 150').  Other side is on a high
school rooftop, grounded directly to a rod (#6, about 200').  Again, not
sure what to do with the radio-side cat5 cable.

Any help would be appreciated, as we're to have this project completed by
Friday and into testing phase.

Thanks...

Mark Nash
UnwiredWest