But its worse than that...

At first, one might think that the protestor would only have to prove that
they had 40% coverage within their Census block they were protesting.
BUT that is NOT true.  Small providers will ahve little chance of winning a
protest because.....

the 40% take rate is based on teh area, not the census block. An area is a
set of contiguous census blocks.  So if a WISP supprots 1 census block, and
a big dog applies for a grant that covers 10 census blocks, if the other 9
census blocks are less than 40% covered, even if your census block is 100%
covered, your census blocks get averaged into all the others , to state that
the proposed full area is still underserved.

Maybe NTIA might be nice and say, can you move that 1 small census block out
of your plan.  But they don't have to.

What I'm getting at is... protests will not be easy, because you'll hqve to
protest the complete area that the applicant is calling an area.
That is really bad for small providers trying to protect their turf.

The rules clearly reward the applicants who can serve the most underserved
and unserved people regardless of who gets trampled along the way.

Its doesn't mean officials will make those decissions as final outcomes, but
the rules allow them to, if they want.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband