Small generators do not auto start very reliably.
When cold or dampness causes hard starting the starter can overheat and
burn out. Generally you need an electric choke to start gas engines,
propane can "flood" and need to rest before trying again, diesel can be
REAL hard to start when cold. Auto starters can not adapt to changing
conditions.
Our best generator is a Propane Ford inline 6 cyl. 25 KW 3 phase. (1955
Model)
The monitor cranks for 1 min then rests and tries 3 times. Everything is
adjustable. It knows to stop cranking when it sees AC voltage from the
Gen. so the motor over runs the starter for just a few seconds. Only a
huge starter motor can take this abuse and last unattended.

You may be money ahead to find out why the existing generator is not
starting and get it fixed.