Here is the setup that we recently did for a combination solar/wind
powered site.   This is a StarOS site, X4000 board with four Mikrotik
R52H cards in it.   One is 5ghz backhaul, two are for APs and the third
card is a spare.

2 60 watt solar panels
solar charge controller
air-x wind generator
four deep-cycle marine batteries (local auto parts store)
metal enclosure
24-48v converter (or 12 to 48, I forget which)
miscellaneous hardware for mounting/wiring

Total cost - $1850.00

If you were going solar only, it would be about $1250.

We also installed a device called a SuperRMS from Invictus Networks,
which is awesome for alternative energy sites.   It has auto ping,
remote power control and we are also able to graph the voltage of the
panels, wind generator and batteries.   It was a bit pricey at $650 or
so, but it is well worth it, as the sites we have on solar/wind are
generally not very accessible.    The SuperRMS tells us that the wind
generator is generating almost no power and that the solar panels are
generating plenty of power.

Altogether, you are looking at about $2000 for a really good solar setup
with full monitoring and remote control capabilities.   You can do it
cheaper, but you will most likely burn up the extra money in battery
replacements and extra trips to the site.

Here are some pictures of the site:
http://www.thelar.com/gallery2/v/Wireless/Hogback/

There are also some example graphs of the charge provided by the panels
and the consumption of the radios throughout the day.   We could run
about 100 people off this site and/or use it as a backhaul point to
somewhere else.   I have four other sites similar to this on my network
- one is wind/solar and the other three are wind only - and they have
proven to be very reliable.   There are some occasional issues.   Wind
generators will sometimes cook batteries, so you need to turn the
voltage down a little bit.   Also, four batteries works a lot better
than two batteries because if you have a cell go bad, you aren't
completely out of luck.   Also, more batteries means less chance of them
overcharging.    Solar power is a lot more linear and good for providing
baseline power.   Wind will charge batteries very quickly if there is
wind.   Unfortunately, even though we have the best wind resource in the
world here in Wyoming/Nebraska, there are occasions where the wind won't
blow for ten days in a row and that can cause problems.

I hope this is useful to you and anyone else looking to do wind/solar
for your sites.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com