From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Scottie Arnett
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:15 PM
To: motor...@wispa.org
Cc: wireless@wispa.org
Subject: [WISPA] OT: Hotspot companies.

I was just going through an old Linksys AP running DD-WRT and looking at
their Hotspot portal companies. I see Sputnik, Wifidog, and Chillispot. Are
any of these companies still going? What do they charge? Can we do this on
our own, with Linux type stuff?

I have a few remote clients that I am serving from a NS2 that I may be able
to use this service with. By remote clients, I mean clients that can see one
of my other client's that are using Canopy. There are usually at least 5 or
more other households that can see the same NS2. In the past, I have always
manually configured an Outdoor unit that can connect to the NS2 if a close
client could receive it and called about the service. If I could put a
hotspot out there, we may be able to get more if they tested the waters
first and could connect to it with standard laptop hardware. I installed an
outside NS2 just today that could see a NS2 AP at 1/2 mile with -60dB, and a
noise floor of -95dB. I saw almost a 50% signal with the Wifi on a EEE PC
onboard wireless.

I see one selling point that us WISP have is that you can use your cell
phone for communication, a satellite dish for TV, and a WISP for good
Internet.

Has anyone got anything radius related hooking to RadiusNT from IEA
software? We still have a radius server running their software for our
dial-ups. If not, I am still looking at outsourcing this if a company has a
reputable reputation. TIA.

Scottie

Wireless High Speed Broadband service from Info-Ed, Inc. as low as
$30.00/mth.
Check out www.info-ed.com/wireless.html for information.

----