Hi Victoria,

The FCC Workship "1 Mbps" statement is very, very generalized. It's nothing to get upset about.

If we want the FCC to update their knowledge about WISPs then we need to educate the FCC. We DO educate them with every FCC filing and presentation that we make. In the last year, we've made about a dozen written filings plus an in-person presentations to four of the five previous FCC Commissioners and to the FCC OET staff. Keep in mind that everything we write or present becomes a part of the public record.

WISPA's FCC Committee is working on writing and filing FCC Comments right now, at this very moment. This filing is in response to an FCC "Notice of Inquiry" (NOI) about "advanced telecommunications services" and "broadband". The NOI asks whether broadband is being deployed to all Americans in a reasonable and timely fashion. The NOI asks five "core questions".

(1) How should we define “advanced telecommunications capability” or “broadband?” (NOTE:  The FCC is asking about "speed" here)

(2) Is broadband available to all Americans?

(3) Is the current level of broadband deployment reasonable and timely?

(4) What actions, if any, should the Commission take to accelerate broadband deployment?

(5) What actions should the Commission take to improve its regular broadband data collection efforts?

We've got to be a little careful about how we ask the FCC to define broadband because:

1. If we set the bar too high, for example by saying that "broadband" is 5 Mbps or more then we risk excluding WISPs who do not provide at least 5 Mbps. They may not be eligible for funding or may not even be considered legitimate WISPs.

2. Some WISPs do not understand the difference between "raw" data rate and actual throughput and we don't want one WISP's lack of understanding to distort the FCC's definitions of "broadband".

3. Some WISPs do not understand that throughput is shared between all of the active customers on an AP at any given moment. Even if an AP is capable of delivering 10 Mbps of actual throughput, when 30 customers are active then less than 333k (10 Meg divided by 30) is available to each customer, sometimes far less. We don't want to let the fact that available throughput per customer is usually less than the maximum single-customer throughput to distort the FCC's definition of "broadband".

In conclusion, I think it's better to let the FCC set the broadband "bar" a little low so we have a chance to demonstrate that we can sometimes exceed it rather than let some WISP who is bragging about speeds that he may or may actually be able to deliver cause the FCC to set the broadband "bar" too high so that the FCC writes unrealistic regulations (or the NITA and RUS originate unrealistic grant programs) that either ignore or exclude the needs of the majority of WISPs.

Jack Unger
Chair - WISPA FCC Committee

St. Louis Broadband wrote:
They are not getting it from my form 477.
The only 1 Mbps service we offer is upload and that is with a 5 Mbps
download.

Victoria