From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Christopher Erickson
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:31 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] solar site

* 48 volt power system (actually -48VDC) is a telco standard and
there is a LOT of carrier-class telecom equipment and charging
systems designed to operate on that voltage.  Especially a lot
of remote management control and monitoring stuff.

* For the same watts, when voltage goes up, amperage goes down.
This means less percentage energy loss from voltage drop in
wiring and the ability to use smaller gauge wire for power.

* Using high-efficiency Picoverters to power 12VDC and 24VDC
devices from 48VDC means that your 12VDC devices can still
operate reliably when the 48VDC battery plant is down to near
exhaustion.

-Christopher Erickson
Network Design Engineer
5432 E. Northern Lights Blvd., Suite 529
Anchorage, AK 99508
N61?11.710' W149?46.723'

36-38

----