I have had the ethernet cable go bad just like that twice over the
past year. Both times was after a nearby lightning strike. The strange
things was that it passed with my tester. OK, my tester is only a
$100, not one of the fancy expensive units. Still, after the cable was
replaced, all was/is well.
-RickG