Although steps in the right direction, a couple points....

>The way each ISP is being evaluated is based on a formula that take
>subscriber numbers, income, and gross costs into account.  This
>flattens out the playing field between all players whether they bring
>in 500 customers or 10K.

I guess it boils down to the formula.
The problem is that "potential" isn't easilly put into that formula.
If all entities dont have the same cash/finance options as others, potential
for each participant may not be reached at the same time.
The formulas only work if each has reached equal potential.
People with less finance generally just have longer ROI strategies, but
potential may be just as high.
This problem could make it difficult for potential participants to be
willing to commit to accepting the formulas.

The only way I see it working is if 1) all particpants are at simplar
stages, or 2) teh agreegator has the financial resources and willing to use
them to help all particpants reach their potential by target deadline.
Otherwise, prospective participants can easilyl predict they will get
screwed.

>As we know, in whatever final structure the company takes form as,
>each area will require basically the same individuals to manage, grow,
>and support that area.  So continued employment should be a non-issue.
 >If you still want to work... That's another question.  I would.

We all know that is never able to be guaranteed.
They keep working hard or they get booted. The upgame for WISPs is that they
eventually will make money but not have to work hard to keep receiving the
reoccuring revenue.
Continiueing to work at market rate street price salary isn't really a
benefit, in exchange for just stock.

Most buyers will never pay in cash what a WISP is worth to the WISP itself.
The WISP is willing to take RISKs the buyer isn't.

>Volume discounts are just a free benefit.  In tier 3 areas, we pay
>between $50 to $12 / meg for bandwidth,  6-8 for Tier 1, depending on
>the amount purchased.  We also have been successful at getting $0
>fiber build outs to our nocs.

This kind of proves my point... Benefits are never as good as the offerer
thinks they are.
I'm a tiny little company and have gained better pricing. I've paid as
little as $2 /mb in URban, and $10-$15 in rural.

>As I've stated.  Each subsidiary remains substantially independent.
>What we are providing is a path to real financial reward for your
>efforts.

There is no risk in pledging support to join should a deal come to play at
an agreeable pre-defined rate, and all agree to what that would be.
The hard part is agreeing on what is "reward for efforts" and actually
finding the buyer willing to pay that number.

The reality is... WISPs are in a business not typically attractive to
investors. There are no patents or intellectual property, there is no
certainty on competition, who can compete, or unique abilties above the next
guy. Success is all about experience and people willing to work in it.  Its
a market with uncertainty. Its a high risk venture for a buyer to pay cash.
The flaw I see with these type deals is they are shooting for the deal that
will never happen. Someone has a much better chance applying for a BTOP/RUS
grant, with intent to keep their company for 15 years.

>We don't want your company.... It's yours and what you built up.  We
>want to build a common path the more wealth for our efforts.

Again, a flawed path. If you dont want the participants' companies, then
they are not successful enough yet to attract buyers. Without investment,
how will they grow to be attractive to buyers?
Profitabilty is not based on increasing national numbers, its about
increasing volume locally,to make each local subsidee sustainable for a
likely long future. What you really mean is that you do not have the
resources to profitable run the local companies without the local company's
sweat equity and local staff. What you mean is that you want a peice of
their profit, when they sell, in trade for what you give them to help them
be more successful. What will you give them to guarantee they will be more
successful, so they should share their potential with you?

Its possible to organize a group, and simply track subscribers and revenue,
and then when the revenues reach a target goal large enough to attract
investors, start negotiating deals.
But the small entities will never get top ROI with someone else negotiating
the terms of their deal. It just doesn;t work that way, we all know it.

>That's what contracts are for.  If you don't agree with the plan and
> the terms, no harm no foul.

Its really tough to negotiate a contract that adequately protects the party
getting merged in. And even harder to inforce it. And even harder to do it
better than a buyer or agregator that has attorneys who have specialized in
it for many years, and has money to spend on it.

Why must a deal be of a large enough size to be attractive to buyers?
BECAUSE THE LEGAL FEES AND DUE DILIGENCE ARE EXPENSIVE.

"IF" its a program where no ownership or assets change hands, UNTIL a cash
deal (or equivellent considering Tax issues) is presented to the
particpant/seller, then it can make sense.

Sorry to bash your efforts, just the way I see these things play out. I have
very little confidence in aggregation efforts. There are some exceptions.
I'm aware of a recent merger that was likely profitable for the entity, but
that wasn't an aggregation, it was a strategic move that offered clear
benefit to both sides, that would enable increased sales and value offered
to future prospects, thus a clear benefit for merging, and worth the risk.

The problem with prenegotiated sales is that you ahve to have a large number
of people looking to sell. If someone is looking to sell, to the extent that
they've put effort into it, they appear vulnerable to the buyers, because
they usually have need or large desire to sell, and therefore typically get
lower offers from buyers.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband