Hi all,

I currently am working on a project to develop a sustainable, manufacturer
agnostic, easy to maintain and provision authentication system for our ISP.
We have a mix of access points from Alvarion, Trango, MikroTik, Canopy, and
others. We're currently running a distributed PPPoE model with MikroTik
PPPoE concentrators. We're concerned about MikroTik's longevity, reliability
and support as we move towards a more centralized PPPoE model where all our
sessions terminate at a CO. We're looking to migrate over 1,000 customers,
currently across 15 or so concentrators, to one single concentrator with
either load balancing or redundancy. We're also trying to keep our decisions
based around a future IPv6 implementation.

My question is if anyone has had any experience in deploying large scale
PPPoE with a centralized methodology. I have investigated the Open Source
options such as rp-pppoe and others but have found that they don't offer any
load-balancing or redundancy options, which are important considerations
when moving to a centralized model. These packages also don't offer any type
of integrated rate-limiting or burst-limiting based on RADIUS. Does anyone
have any experience with other types of centralized authentication for
customers that support IPv6 and include integration of
rate-limiting/bursting?

I have reached out to a Cisco integrator, ImageStream, Fine Point
Technologies (http://www.finepoint.com/servpoet.html), and some others to
find solutions.

Thanks in advance,

--