Long ago we used amps to overcome cable loss, before there was a good
choice for POE or IF based systems. Every single one of them either
failed or went flaky (YDI and other like units) I'm so distrustful of
them, I wouldnt even sell them on ebay.

When I have issues with the equipment at the top, it's usually the
equipment, not because it's up high. If it's reliable to start with,
properly protected, it will provide reliable service from up high. Put
equipment that you need to tinker with, unproven equipment, untested
used equipment, etc... You will have issues.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:59:48AM -0400, RickG wrote:
> I've only lost one amp over the years as opposed to many issues with
> equipment at the top.
> -RickG
>
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:48 AM, jp <j...@saucer.midcoast.com> wrote:
> > Big thank you to L-com.
> >
> > Use a POE based backhaul product to avoid cable loss. The amp will also
> > hurt your noise floor by amplifying interference/noise as well.
> >
> > If you are concerened about unreliability of having electronics atop the
> > tower with regard to a POE radio solution, an amp is electronics atop
> > the tower, so that argument doesn't hold water.
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:59:11AM -0400, RickG wrote:
> >> I am planning to install a 5Ghz backhaul from my main tower to a
> >> remote. It will have the antenna on the top, 150' of LMR-400 and the
> >> radio at the bottom. To make up for the loss, I ordered a 500mw amp
> >> from L-Com. Unfortunately, they cancelled the order saying I need a
> >> HAM license to purchase it. I thought unlicensed freqs dont require a
> >> license?
> >> -RickG

> >> Archives: http://lists.wispa.org/pipermail/wireless/
> >
> > --
> > /*
> > Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
> >    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
> >  http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
> > */

/*