Great topic! One that is well worth trying to get insight on. I don't
think my two cents will be anything new to many here but I'll help the
discussion along. When I began my career at IBM in 1980 there were
really only mainframe computers. Sure, as discussed in previous posts,
techies like us had the TRS-80's, Commadore VIC's & 64's, HP kits, etc
but the average person only thought of computers as big mainframes
that took up whole rooms. At that point, there was only centralized
computing and the costs for related services were very high.
Obviously, the PC revolution changed things relatively quickly as far
as putting power into our hands. But, everyone realized that all that
power is not much good without being able to connect and use it.
Fortunately, for a number of reasons, communications costs also
lowered. Heck, I can remember when dedicated synchronous line cost
tens of thousands of dollars per month. Then, you look at the software
market. Using Microsoft as an example, I'm sure everyone remembers
when Windows 98 was distributed on 60+ floppy disks. The cost of doing
that along with upgrades and patches that were time sensitive added to
the need for high-speed communications. Add to that online
applications, VoIP, video, etc and you have an interesting conundrum:
support the current model of running everything on the users end or
let the process run "in-house". There are arguments for both or
perhaps a hybrid model makes sense. Either way, since ISP's provide
transport, we should understand the future in order to grow with it. I
think we are in a position to mirror many of the services and
applications on our networks if not for any other reason than to keep
the network more efficient. Ultimately, I think we will be the
distributor of the content that our networks are being utilized for.
Considering the exponential growth of bandwidth usage, the profits of
the unlimited access model is beginning to deteriorate. We've had some
talk of bandwidth based pricing and some are doing that. I submit that
this will evolve further to different scales of bandwidth costs such
as higher costs for video and lower cost for email based on the
priority of the traffic. Furthermore, even a higher cost for "on net"
versus "off net". Once this new model takes hold, it will make even
more sense for ISP's to warehouse and distribute content and data for
our customers. One question is how we get paid for the warehousing and
distribution?
-RickG