This could be a very touchy topic.
Routers, are everywhere. Someone can't blame a router for all there
problems because at some point your internet goes through a router. At your
location or your ISP's its inevitable.
But why have routers gotten such a bad name? I believe this is the fact
that most SOHO routers are trash. Generally your average home user isn't
doing much to notice a router. But then you get your users that are heavy
on the P2P or something they find the router gets slow.. Most SOHO routers
don't handle P2P very well because the number of connections. So they
remove the router and it all works great suddenly.

As for the actual question. No, most routers are not the cause of
speed/bandwidth issues. As today most of them are decently equipped. I know
back in the day I saw many a netgear 614 have about a 14Mb/s ceiling on wan
to lan throughput. Add in lots of P2P connections and that could come down
under the 10Mb/s mark.
I really like the idea of the new RB750, I have one running right now and
its capable of doing 98Mb/s TCP at about 60% cpu load. This is in the
standard soho config (1 wan, 4 lan, nat, no queues)

Nick Olsen
Brevard Wireless
(321) 205-1100 x106