Josh,

It kind of depends where you live, just like it does for any 3G
service. Where I personally live, AT&T's 3G service is excellent. I
switched from Verizon and have better coverage and better performance.
I'm sure the reverse is true in other areas...but you really cannot
legitimately make blanket statements like that when they need coverage
in a specific relatively small area.

Chuck

On Oct 17, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:

> I strongly advise avoiding AT&T's 3G service.  I haven't been
> impressed at
> all.
>
> Josh Luthman
> Office: 937-552-2340
> Direct: 937-552-2343
> 1100 Wayne St
> Suite 1337
> Troy, OH 45373
>
> "When you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains, however
> improbable, must be the truth."
> --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
>

> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Jayson Baker
> <jay...@spectrasurf.com>wrote:
>
>> We currently do this for a local PD.  They have 13 of those
>> ruggedized Dell
>> laptops, mounted in all the cars.
>> We looked at 2.4GHz and 900MHz.  Even though the town is only
>> 5sqmi, we
>> decided to go with Verizon Aircards.
>>
>> Worked out well, because the laptops are tied directly into their CAD
>> system, which is tied into the whole state.
>> So now they could, theoretically, go anywhere in the state and be
>> dispatched
>> on a call, run plates/people through NCIC, etc.
>>
>> I believe that because of that, they actually got the state to pay
>> for a
>> lot
>> of it.
>>
>> Sure, we don't make anything on the Verizon service, but we do on the
>> backend by tying their CAD into the Internet.
>>
>> Just something to keep in mind, if you have any sort of 3G service
>> in that
>> area.
>>
>> Jayson
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Robert West <robert.w...@just-micro.com
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> I got a call Friday afternoon from the police chief of a small
>>> little
>> spot
>>> in the road asking about the possibility of connecting his
>>> cruisers to
>> the
>>> station network via a wireless link.  (He is the "Police Chief"
>>> but I
>>> suspect he is also the entire police force)  He said that the local
>>> Wal-Mart
>>> has agreed to donate to him a few of those little Acer 7" screen
>>> laptops,
>>> which are a big piece of crap from the number of repairs we've had
>>> to do
>> on
>>> them...  Anyhow, he wants to be able to be in the cruiser and
>>> connect to
>>> the
>>> network back at the station and use the websites from the Attorney
>>> General's
>>> office where he can run plates, drivers license info and also fill
>>> out
>> his
>>> reports.
>>>

>>> Here's the setup..
>>>

>>> This Burg is a bit less than 2 miles long and about one and a half
> [...]
>>> wide.  The town hall is equivalent to a 4 story building and they
>>> also
>> have
>>> a water tower that looks to be 100 foot tall.  The terrain is flat
>>> as can
>>> be
>>> and they have the normal scattering of trees.  The Town Hall and
>>> water
>>> tower
>>> are the tallest structures by far aside from a large grain
>>> elevator right
>>> outside of town.  Boy wants to connect to his network anywhere in
>>> town
>> from
>>> his cop-mobile as well as when he is at home, also within the town.
>>>

>>> We've done plenty of private networks but it's all been in the 2.4
>>> and
>> 5ghz
>>> band.  He was thinking he could just throw up a 2.4ghz link and be
>>> good
>> but
>>> I told him to hold on, I didn't think he could broadcast the
>>> Attorney
>>> Generals network to every antenna in town, I had to do some
>>> research.  So
>>> this, because of my utterly blatant laziness, is my research. J
>>>

>>> Has anyone been down this path?  What can we do and not do?
>>>

>>> I have a meeting with the guy next Wednesday and want to have some
>>> idea
>> of
>>> what we're up against on this one.  (Hopefully he doesn't
>>> recognize me as
>>> the guy who took him to court over a ticket he wrote for a crooked
>> license
>>> plate...  I won that one by the way)
>>>

>>> Thanks for any help!
>>>

>>> Robert West
>>>
>>> Just Micro Digital Services Inc.
>>>
>>> 740-335-7020

--------------
Chuck Bartosch
Clarity Connect, Inc.
200 Pleasant Grove Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 257-8268

"When the stars threw down their spears,
and water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile, His work to see?
Did He who made the Lamb make thee?"

 From William Blake's Tiger!, Tiger!