Without conducting a thorough analysis, I did find a few interesting notes
in 47 U.S.C.S. 151:

47 U.S.C.S. § 151 contains a moratorium on taxes generally.  However the
statute contains a long list of exclusions.

For instance, a state may tax if the state was already taxing internet
services prior to the enactment Oct. 21, 1998.  States that imposed a sales
tax on internet service prior to that date can still charge the tax.

Likewise, taxes enacted by state statute prior to November of 2003 and
imposed upon internet services are grandfathered despite the moratorium.

Telecommunications taxes appear to be subject to a loophole and can be
imposed (although the statute is silent as to what qualifies as
telecommunications).

But perhaps most interesting is subsection (e) which allows a state to
charge taxes to any internet provider who fails to offer “customer (either
for a fee or at no charge) screening software that is designed to permit the
customer to limit access to material on the Internet that is harmful to
minors”.  All WISPs would be wise to start offering some sort of net nanny
type software so that the states don’t jump on the opportunity to tax.

Regards,

Larry Yunker II, Esq.

Barkan & Robon, Ltd.

  _____