From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of John Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:27 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Would like to purchase some RF glasses...

The terrain between the AP and the CPE is such that I would ordinarily
consider it a slam-dunk. Standing there on the ground next to the house
and looking at the (almost) clear view of the tower, with nothing in
between that I would consider to be capable of creating multi-path
reflections, my thought is that there is no way for this link to not
work. heh...

That being said, my experience with multi-path is that you may get wild
fluctuations in RSSI, or you may get great signal, but lots of dropped
packets. But you still get signal. In this case, at that particular
elevation, nothing. Like something is completely blocking the signal,
not that you are getting the signal from multiple directions. It's like
there is a dead zone from 14.5 feet AGL to about 16 ft. AGL. And that
tree isn't very big.

The only thing comparable I have experienced is with a wireless security
camera that was broadcasting enough signal that the CPE wasn't able to
hear the AP, but I know of nothing within 1/2 mile of this house that
could be generating any significant amount of signal.

John

----

----
>> WISPA Wants You! Join today!