On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 07:16 -0800, Joe Miller wrote:
> Has anyone experienced this yet? From doing research I've found that
> even Blue-Ray machines have Netflix software on them. I've been getting
> some calls lately regarding slow Internet at certain times of the day.
> I've researched what ports Netflix and Hula are using but cannot pin
> down what ports are being used. If Netflix is using Mpeg 4, then that
> is using close to 1.5 meg of continued streaming.

Not sure about NetFlix, but Hulu uses TCP and/or UDP 1935, which is
Macromedia Flash port.  They use primarily TCP.

> How does one combat this type of traffic? I have a 20 meg metro E
> curcuit in place but if I have 1 or 2 customers on a single AP doing
> streaming, then the other 20 or so customers are calling and complaining
> about the slow Internet speeds.

Build a QOS imnplementation that allows Hulu to work, but lessor
priority than other traffic.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *