Has anyone tried the Netgear GS108T? It is a fully managed switch that costs
about $100.00 to $130.00. I buy mine from Staples. I'v had two of them in the
field for over two years with no issues.

----- Original Message ----
From: Tom DeReggi <wirelessn...@rapiddsl.net>
To: n...@brevardwireless.com; WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wed, November 11, 2009 6:42:00 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Small Managed Switches

There are several classes of VLAN switches.

I'll use SMC as an example...

1) They have the higher end models that are Full VLAN support that are very
intuitive and fully flexible. For example, they'll allow you to label each
port in web interface. They fully refer to each ports specifying their
Egress and Ingress VLAn support, etc.  They allow every thing to be done.
But because they are intuitive, in the web interface itself,  its easy to
configure them without accidentally misconfiguring another clients. They
make great switches that will act as both Trunk backbone switches and end
location switches.

2) then they have lower end model. They let one do almost everything with
VLAN. But they are way less intuitive. And they dont work as well for dual
purpose, and tend to work better as a backbone or end location switch. They
lack abilty to label ports.They have confusing terminology to enable or
disable like "VLAN Aware" that may not be specific on what VLAN
functionality is enabled by making it aware.
It usually takes a quick read of the manual before making a config, because
the logic is not straight forward. Many Web Switches are like this.

SMC and Intellinet have affordable 8 port VLAN switches that are functional,
but with the firmware that is equivellent to low end VLAN switches as
described in #2 above.
But I beleive both have text, SNMP, serial, and Web interfaces, which give
them a step up over other basic web switch products.
Both models sell under $200, and have atleast 2 Gigabit ports, possibly SPF
ports.

I just wish someone made a 8 port VLAN switch for the low dollar cost, that
had the HIGH END INTUITIVE VLAN firmware, that allowed each port to be
labled in software.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband