Some of their better managed switches do these things. Perhaps it's an
incentive for people to who value those features to go upmarket a little.
I do love their switches. I mostly buy used ones.

I think the 26xx series can allow you to label ports. All the
telnet/snmp manageable ones allow naming VLANs. All the telnet/snmp ones
allow enabling/disabling ports.

As far as port and vlan labeling, a database could be built to keep
track of that stuff. So you just pull up the switch in your php/mysql
custom display and it will show you all the ports their the labeling and
vlan names.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 07:53:10PM -0500, Nick Olsen wrote:
> This is my main complaint with the 1800-8G and the 1800-24G
>
> I've asked procurve to add these 3 features and got a standard "we'll think
> about it" answer.
>
> 1. Ability to label ports
> 2. Ability to label vlans
> 3. Ability to disable a port
>
> All very simple requests that can't take much in terms of memory/firmware
> size to implement.
>
> In terms of speed, stability, function other then the above, its a awesome
> switch.
>
> Nick Olsen
> Brevard Wireless
> (321) 205-1100 x106

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/