We use VLAN's on every tower.

Typically, we have a single-power gigabit MikroTik router, going into a 24-
or 48-port switch.

There are many VLAN's between the switch and MT.  Some ports on the VLAN are
untagged ports (i.e. you plug it in, and go - it comes "out" on the MT port
as tagged with a VLAN ID), some are untagged and tagged.

For instance, we have all our backhauls in one VLAN group.  They all
communicate OSPF.  In theory, the router could go down, and backhauls will
continue communicating.
AP's are all in their own management VLAN, and then we use a tagged VLAN
which the AP untags and bridges with the wirelesss interface.  So all
custmoer traffic is seperated from management, backhauls, etc.