Good thoughts.  I'll look those over.  I think I have some isolators in my
fun box that I ripped out of something I trashed, never thought of that.
May as well get fancy and use the GOOD hot glue........

-----Original Message-----
From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of os10ru...@gmail.com
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2009 7:02 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Mikrotik Serial Port Monitoring

There are some really cool (and cheap) ASIC boards with Ethernet based
connectivity that you need to write a custom program for but you could get
really fancy with. They have A/D converters and you could monitor the
battery voltage accurately, and you could have the device email you at the
desired voltage set points and you could have it email you each day with the
battery voltage. It would take some work but it could be nice.

I would be a little concerned about how well buffered the serial port lines
are on the MT board. You might want to use some opto-isolators for your
interface.

Greg

On Dec 5, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Robert West wrote:

> Before I go over to the MT forums and get treated like an idiot (they are
> somehow able to see through my clever disguise, darn it!)  I'm looking for
> anyone who has used the serial pins on the Routerboard to send an on/off
> signal.
>

> I have a home brew solar install that runs an AP but there are times, like
> many cloudy days in a row, things don't charge as well and the battery
will
> drop and then I lose the AP.  I have a backup battery I carry with me and
> swap the things from time to time but still, sometimes it drops out.
>

> I'm cheap, so bear with me here.  I know there are lots of things I can
buy
> ($$$) to do what I want to do but I'm a maverick, a rebel, a guy who knows
> just enough to screw everything up and almost enough to fix some of it.
> So....  I only want the MT to send me a message that the battery is low.
> have an el-cheapo device, cost me fifteen bucks,  that will monitor the
> battery and turn on 3 lights ,"Good", "Low" and "You better get here or
the
> phone is gonna start ringing".  If I can take the voltage that is sent to
my
> "low" led and use that to send a signal to the serial port then I think
I'd

----

----