Thanks, Marlon.  You have any picture of you in all that?!

Do they make a heated coat that can work off PoE?  Just askin'

-----Original Message-----
From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Marlon K. Schafer
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 11:28 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] It's too darn cold!

It's 10* here right now.  Gotta love it!

First, LAYERS!!!!  If I know I'll be outside I start with a long sleeved
shirt.  Usually something like longjohns.

I wear thick blue jeans.

Next go the Carharts.  Not a pair of knockoffs.  I've got both, the Carharts

are the only way to go.  Much much warmer.

If it's really cold, I've got a HUGE thick winter coat that I'll put over
the top of all of that.

I wear good, fleece lined snow boots.  Rubber ones so they do NOT get wet.
I do NOT tuck in the pants, they stay outside to keep the snow out.

For gloves I have a couple of pairs.  One factory one my own version.
Basically they are both fairly thin dirtbiking or sports gloves.  Cut the
fingers out at the second knuckle.  The factory ones fit a bit tighter and
are easier to work with.  On my own ones I leave the pinky and 3rd finger
on, can't do much with them when working with small nuts and bolts
anyway.....

Use hand and foot warmers!  I buy them by the case every year (they don't
work as well the second year anyway, even though still sealed).  Loosely
tape a warmer on each wrist.  On the underneath where your arteries are at.
The colder it is, the bigger the hand warmer you can use.  That will do
amazing things when it comes to keeping your hands warm!  Honest.

Keep a large hand warmer in your front pants pockets.  That's also near an
artery and will help keep your feet warm.  If there is room in your shoes,
use foot warmers there too.  Modern technology can be quite helpful.

I've thought of picking up some of those new heated coats, but I don't trust

anything with batteries to be there for me when it's really cold and/or has
been sitting for a while.

Oh yeah, sometimes I wear 2 or 3 pairs of socks (gotta use bigger shoes when

doing this and that can cause a safety issue when you don't wear them all of

the time).

For a hat I have a fleece lined all cloth one that I can tie on.  It's got
flaps that completely cover my ears.  If it gets really nasty I'll slip a
hand warmer or two in it as well.  I'd love to find an even thicker version
of it but haven't come up with one yet.  I will also probably get a pull
over ski mask one day.  The kind you see crooks wear.  As I've gotten older
it's harder to keep my skin from getting wind burnt when it's cold and
windy.

Lastly but most importantly, LIMIT YOUR EXPOSURE!!!!!!!  If it's not mission

critical stay inside.  Or at least keep your shifts outside short until
things warm up.  When it gets below 10* out here I don't do installs.  The
cat5 jackets crack at about 0* if you bend them much.  The drills and cars
don't like to run well etc.  It's just much too hard on everything.  Out
here it usually warms up in a week or so, people hate it, but they
understand.  I also tend to not work when it gets really windy (ladders blow

over etc.).  I don't shut down for high heat, that can be more easily
managed with cold water and slow movement....

Hope that helps,
marlon