"One time, I had to borrow a friends bucket"

I'll assume you meant bucket truck. The day we bought our bucket truck and
brought it home, I took a 3/8" drill bit to about 3 places in the bottom of the
bucket to let water out.

"The next time, the bucket was drained
>OK but the hydralics had a leak and would let me down"

That sucks! We can bypass our generator ran hydraulics and use the battery
powered hydraulics, but your situation sucks.

"After waiting for help about an hour, I decided to jump to the
>rusty silo ladder about 5 feet away."

I learned a lesson from my friends that work in bucket trucks at the local
telco and electric co's. Never go up in a bucket alone unless you have a fully
charged, working signal cellphone.

Scottie