Walks on the edge of survival.  Most non-profits rely on outside funding.
An organization that is set up to serve the people and not make a profit is
usually a careful balance unless they have a perpetual endowment.

-----Original Message-----
From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of MDK
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 9:36 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Report: Broadband stimulus funds won't suffice

Walks on the edge of what?

For many decades, we paid HUGE per minute prices for long distance.    And
rather large sums just to have a phone, for that matter.     The telcos
innovated nothing.   They thought of "innovation" as some small thing every
20 years.

Why?   You know the answer.   No free market.

Once finally got the door busted down, and competition entered...   Voice
services, long distance or not, cost so little they are insignificant.
And the range of services exploded.

Do you want the ISP business to do the same?

Just get Uncle Sam involved and it'll come to a screeching halt, all us
small players will go away, and we'll have non evolutionary communications
for a few decades.

Fortunately, it seems the cat is out of the bag, and we're too hard to stuff

back in, though the Congress and FCC so badly want to.

Medicare refused to pay for services and as a result, my mother died 20
years too soon.
The VA medical system is unresponsive.   My father died of rather pointless
issues in a VA hospital because the care just isn't... "there".
Social Security is a scam that makes Madoff look like Robin Hood.
Government created monopolies and we suffered for decades because of them...

still do.

I read somewhere in this thread that I or someone had claimed the free
market will do everything.   NO, it will not.   But it will do the  best
that can be done.   And government will do the worst.

And I'll stake my LIFE on that.