> Have they relaxed the rules on certification?

No they have not.

Most likely Ubiquiti has done this to avoid having to put peak power limits
on their radio hardware.
26db radio + 7 dbi omni = 33db, less than 36db allowable limit.

If they included larger sector antennas to be certified with the hardware,
they might get asked to hardset reduce max power of the radios, to comply
with FCC EIRP limits for that specific configuration.

However, if a professional installer uses a higher gain antenns, such as a
20db sector, and manually sets the transmit power of the radio down to 16db,
they are still within legal Part-15 EIRP rules.
We've been through this before... individually the parts are FCC certified
under modular component rules (example a mpci card in a laptop) and that
might be all thats necessary to allow the parts to be legally sold and
distributed.  The same rules that would apply to StarOS, Mikrotik, or any
OEM product apply in the same way to Ubiquiti.

Allthough it might be evading the issue through a loop hole, it is the only
possible way to enable a single product to be interchangeable between both a
PTP and PTMP use, and not have the PTP use severally compromised when used
in PTP.

It should be noted that in 5.8G a CPE is allowed to follow PTP rules because
it is being used in a PTP way, so a 30dbi antenna is certified for use on
the CPE of a PtMP system.

That is my take on it.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc