Its hard to advise on this.  You'd have to test the radio on the ground
connected by a attenuated coupler to know if teh radio was output powering
correctly or not.

We ahve ran into this before, and the answer was always alignment.
Sometimes, we simply started over from scratch, and finally fine tuned it to
reach the correct alignment.

All our links were 10 miles. One thing to remember is that alignment is NOT
always symetrical. Just because one side is -42 does not mean both sides are
in perfect alignment.  You could be picking up signal on one end from a
bounce, for example. Or picking up on a side lobe.  But at the end of the
day, we just kept trying both verticle and horizonal until we got it right.

We had one time where we were 10 db off,  where we aligned side A, and
thought Side A was good because side A could easilly visually see Side B. We
messed with Side B's alignment for hours with no success, assuming it was
side B that was out of alignment because Side B was on a tower and being
aligned by a climber that had never visually seen side A, and one of our
techs was on side A.  We went back and re-aligned side A, and we picked up
another 5 db. It was side A that was out-of-alignment. We then went back to
side B and re-aligned, and side B was now able to be re-aligned to get 5 db
more better.  We now had symetrical signal on both sides. My point here is
that one side of a link can not be optimally aligned if the far side is
out-of-alignment at teh time it is being aligned.
Sometimes it takes going back and realigning both sides.

If you are getting 10db off, my first thought is both sides are probably
out-of alignment a slight bit.  Again, the fact that you are getting -42 on
one side could be fooling you to believe one side is aligned when it is not
fully.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband