I can make change by either math or the count to 100 method, but I'll
stick up for the guy a little bit. After taking 5 calculus classes,
differential equations, discrete mathematics, and algorithms, my ability
to do simple addition and subtraction was permanently impaired. I
studied CS instead of math, but math was an important part of the
program.

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 03:44:43PM -0500, RickG wrote:
> We must live parallel lives! I stopped at an Arbys for lunch a while back in
> a college town. The register was out. My total was $5.15. I gave the "kid" a
> $10 and a quarter. He handed me 4 ones and a dime. I asked him to rethink
> the change. He scratched his head and finally the manager came over and
> corrected the situation. I asked the "kid" if he was going to college there.
> He said yes. I asked what his major was and he replied "I'm a math major".
> -RickG
>
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Robert West <robert.w...@just-micro.com>wrote:
>
> > Trust me.  I've seen it and I've lived it.  I used to have to teach these
> > kids to make change.  I'd say, "Can you count from one to a hundred?"
> > *YUP!*  "Then you can make change."  Many still didn't get it..
> > sigh..........  "A customer owes 30 bucks and they give you 2 twenties..
> > How much do you owe them back?" I'd say.    "I dunno......" would be the
> > answer.  "You can't count from 30 to 40?"  I don't really fault the
> > schools,
> > a lot of it has to do with experience.  If you never needed it, you don't
> > have it.  Brain cells that is.....

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/