We currently use 100% Linux based routing and switching solutions. Works
great. (Our Custom, MIkrotik, Imagestream, whatever, its all the same
concept).
All tower devices plug directly into a port on our integrated Linux
switch/router.

The reason I was asking was.....we are about to do a major network overhaul,
and considering injecting some Switches in-line.
There can be many network design reasons to seperate switching and rounting
devices at each HOP/Cell tower, (to many possibilties to list).

An example config.... Consider City A,B,C, and City B had GIg-E connections
to A and C.  At City B a Switch could be used to connect both Gigabit radios
to create a layer2 backbone. And then a Router could still be used at teh
City B tower which router had 1 gig connection to the switch also. (Or could
even have two Giga Switch port connections). Then other sectors could be put
directly to router ports.  That would also allow for multiple OSPF
connection such as between non-adjacent Cities, if when appropriate.

So my intent was not to compare Linux to non-Linux Switches and which to
use, but instead to decide that if seperating Switch and Router components
to seperate devices which features the switch component would be responsible
for (versus the router) in the new design.  My topic only referring to core
Backbone Network design.

We have three options.....

1) Radio1 to Router1 to Radio2.   (Layer3 backbone)

2) Radio1 to switch1 to Router1 Port1 to Router1 Port2 to switch2 to Radio2.
(LAyer3 backbone w/ switches to enable injecting (bridge) additional devices
before or after the router.)

3) Radio1 to Switch1 to Router1 to Switch1(same)  to radio2.  (LAyer2
backbone, with LAyer3 routing at each tower for distribution).

The above is actually much more elaborate than simplified above considering
often several backbones travel through a cell site, and redundant paths.

There can be other considerations such as.... Where is QOS done when
multiple methods are needed? For example, a backbone might want to
prioritize based on application service type. Where as a Router might want
to prioritize based on Customer Class.  I could invision LAyer2 switches
prioritizing VOIP, and Routers doing customer bandwidth mangement. Or
switching can add ability to better integrate redundant routers. For
example, without a switch a Gigabit radio cant be plugged into both a
primary and backup router. (Unless its a APEX that allows use of both Fiber
and CAT5 at same time on seperate PVLANS)

What we have learned is that we need intelligence per Tower, if anything
just for testing performance. So we will always have high end Linux router
devices at each tower to perform those tests.
The question we are deciding is should the second device needing less
intelligence be a switch or linux device.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband