We ourselves are a rural electric coop and put equipment on utility poles.

Since we ARE the utility we can put some devices up in the power space
(PUC still hassles us on inspections, even though it's legit), where you
may need to maintain a certain clearance. Our fiber for example, is
all-dielectric so we can run it above the neutral line, not in the
communications space. So there may not be as much usable space on the
poles as you're thinking. Our access points are on dedicated 65ft poles,
but we do put subscriber units and aerial cat-5 on utility poles where
needed.

Our early work isn't the best looking, I don't think I have any pictures
I'd really want to share. We use hoffman enclosures and in the early
days the boxes we were using were simply too small. Ended up cramped and
untidy inside. And most of our sites needed multiple small boxes on the
pole which didn't end up being the most aesthetically pleasing. When we
needed up upgrade to a much larger UPS at one of them, we set a large
hoffman box on a stub pole just for the batteries (SUA750XL with
multiple battery packs).

The newer stuff uses a single hoffman box large enough to have a full
size APC SUA750XL in the bottom, that way we can have decent runtime and
a management card to monitor and powercycle the entire tower if we need
to (no per-outlet control). Above that we have room for a switch or
router, PoE, power supplies, etc. We run a 2" conduit up the pole for
the cat-5.

-Paul