On 16 February 2010 13:30, Randy Cosby <dco...@infowest.com> wrote:

> Last week my partner walked up to the front desk to hear our
> receptionist trying to be "one of the boys" by reading out the spelling
> of a word using the phonetic alphabet (ie: alpha, tango, foxtrot).
>
> "Butterfly, Butterfly, Lettuce" is all he heard before he had to turn
> around and walk away before cracking up.

I once worked for a company where it was frequently required for the
operators to communicate spellings to callers. Of course, I printed out a
copy of the (NATO) phonetic alphabet for the operators to reference, and was
promptly scolded, as it was not appropriate to use the word "whiskey".
Management decided to create their own in-house alphabet list.