On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 10:25:37AM -0600, Mike wrote:
> The deep cycle batteries and an inverter are a good idea.  I like the APC
> units much better than the Tripplites; they have better power supplies.

I've had APCs run great for 10 years, others have gotten hot and bulged
batteries to the
extent that the units had to be fully dissasembled to get the batteries out. We
still get
them for small (<$100) UPSs, but use Tripplite APS for the bigger stuff.

We've got sites that will run 20+ hours on a 100AH 12v battery without us
intervening.
Compared to a portable generator, that saves three visits if power is restored
in time. 1
to bring in and start a generator, one refuel, one visit to hook back up to
utility
power.

> I have replaced a dead internal gel cell with an external deep cycle
> battery.  The only down side is the trickle circuitry is sized for a 7 ah or
> so battery and NOT a 60 ah.

So get a $20 general purpose trickle charger from walmart or harborfreight if
you want to
go this route.

> I have actually been contemplating running both a solar panel and a wind
> generator combination to power the equipment at the noc.

Wing looks nice, but it's a pain unless you do grid-tied. You need large
batteries to
absorb the power generated and some of the wind generators aren't particularly
reliable
either. I think it has a strong future as a component of international energy
needs, but
it's sort of frustrating in an isolated setup.

> The marketing mileage I would get out of that, in this day of "green"
> awareness would be tremendous.  The marketing would be that the entire
> network is powered with green energy, and you could tout that in advertising
> and your literature.
>
> Mike

/*