Being an old EMS and Fire Chief I can tell you - chances are it could
be their cruddy equipment.
Its obvious they are not on digital yet...

I could tell you some really big horror stories from my EMS days ...
Volunteer Dept's are even more fun (done both sides of the fence)

If you really want to pick his britches...

next time your there pick up the phone and dial 390

ask for a volunteer carpenter ...

then dial 829  and ask for a volunteer plumber...

finally dial 911 and ask for a volunteer Fire Fighter...

(ok bad joke)

I love the volunteers - they are what made every department I was part
of so great...
without them - the departments imho are worthless...

but it sure is fun to get that volly chief all up in a tiffy !

;-)

Now - if we could only get our equipment to push tones out - we could
have some real fun.. and page them any time of the day..