From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of David E. Smith
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 9:20 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Switch recommendations

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 17:41, Mike Hammett <wispawirel...@ics-il.net>wrote:

> I had a Dell PowerConnect 3048 die on me today...  I owned it for probably
> 6 years and only paid $150 for it.  Recommendations for a reasonably
priced
> managed 48 port switch?  Doesn't have to be new.  Recommendations to stay
> away from?

If you've had good luck with Dell, might as well stick with 'em.

Assuming you don't need anything really fancy in terms of management
features, the Dell PowerConnect 5448 might fit the bill, and it's usually
available for under $1000 (possibly way under $1000 if you have a good Dell
sales rep).

I've just rolled out a few 5424s (same thing only with 24 ports instead of
48), and they work well enough. You don't get some of the fancy features
like Q-in-Q, but that's not a problem for most smaller outfits.

David Smith
MVN.net

----