Hello Scott,

Yes, the links will work great until you have a heavy rain.  Talk to Travis
about the 38GHz links he has running at several miles with great uptime.
Great uptime because he's nearly running them in a vacuum environment...IMO!
lol  Unfortunately you and I do not enjoy such an RF friendly environment
for our paths.

Right now most of our 11GHz links are Trango GigaLINK which are the split
architecture design (we required coax runs) and may not be as powerful as
the Apex.  We have a few Apex 11GHz links up and they do seem to perform
better, but none of them are as long as some of our GigaLINK paths.  The
Apex also has a much better "hitless" modulation shift than the Giga, so
your overall experience during rain fade events will be better with an Apex
than a Giga.

Agreed, our sites have alternate paths to fail to during rain fade or in the
event of equipment failure.  However, there is still a momentary drop in
service and we strive for as close to 100% availability as possible.  With
the proliferation of VoIP running across our network our clients demand it!

Four nines always sounds great and looks great on paper, but it never seems
to occur when no one is watching!  That hour of estimated downtime is always
at the worst time.  <grin>

I'm happy to offer any additional help with your Trango gear offlist if you
want to bounce configuration or other specific questions that may come up.

Best,

Brad