From: Scott Carullo <sc...@brevardwireless.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:39:24 -0400
To: <wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: [WISPA] Couple more questions for the 11Ghz folks

Spending over 10K for a link (or anything for that matter) causes me to do
a bit more homework than usual when I'm dealing with something I am not
familiar with....  So more questions...  Thanks ahead for your time I
appreciate any info provided.

Looking for generic 11Ghz answers - not related specifically to any
manufacturer.

Two links in question, one 20 miles and one 30 miles.  18db output 40.4 db
dish (4ft)  900ft tower to 300ft tower both instances 900ft tower in middle
with one link east one west.  Calculations show just under 700 watts EIRP

How much is the rain going to affect me...  I have no experience with 11Ghz
and would really like a firm grasp on what happens to my link(s) when the
rain starts.  I understand the Trango Apex which I'm looking at can
dynamically adjust speeds to account for some fade - exactly how much I'm
not sure.  Any real world info would really help me at this point.  I guess
I'm looking for good news :) but I need to hear the bad as well if it is
reality.

Next question is for temp inversions.  I have never had equipment higher
than about 350ft so the 900ft is a bit new for me.  I'm assuming that the
angle different from going from 300ft to 300ft vs. 900ft to 300ft would be
a small portion of a degree difference so I'm not expecting anything
different here.  Confirm this really won't make a difference for me as I
suspect...  I'm not going over much water, just St. Johns river mostly
marsh but it does cause differences in temp above the water.  Does 11Ghz
behave the same as 5Ghz for inversions?  Worse, better?  5Ghz around here
sways a lot actually if you look at RSSI graphs.

Anything else I might want to know, understand, be warned about etc?
Remember back to your first 10K + link :)  That's me now...

Scott Carullo
Brevard Wireless
321-205-1100 x102

----