From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of ralphlists
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 2:27 AM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: Re: [WISPA] ISM vs UNII

Not exactly correct.

You do not want to run under the ISP service!  It does not allow data.
It is for devices that do things with RF energy- not ones that "communicate"

There is a good old example of a wireless integrator who was using illegal 1
watt amps on Cisco 340 access points to distribute Internet in Post
Properties apartments. He interfered with Hams (they were running a repeater
with a 2.4 GHz licensed input) and an FCC investigation ensued.  When he got
caught with the amps and a fine was discussed, the operator got deeper and
deeper into his lies by saying that he wasn't Part 15, but ISM.  Since he
had no ISM license, the fine then went to something like 10 grand a day.
Suddenly he decided maybe Part 15 with illegal amps was a little easier on
the wallet.  Anyway, the provider went out of business.

You can still probably find some stuff about it by Googling. The Company was
Darwin Networks and the place was Houston TX.