On 5/17/2010 10:23 AM, Blake Bowers wrote:
If you have a copper ground rod in the radome then you make the antenna both
directional, and subject to a high VSWR.

Radome antennas like the one pictured do splinter - it is one of those
LMR facts of life.  ANY antenna subject to a direct strike can be
damaged.   The best antenna I have ever used for LMR is a DB224,
the design of which makes it totally unacceptable for WISP work.
(Unless you have a two way radio system in your installers
trucks LOL)

http://www.wiscointl.com/decibel/dipoles/db224.htm

This is the same style of antenna that dot many of the old AT&T
long lines towers across the country - I have never found one bad
at one of the AT&T sites.

For that matter, my MCI sites had radome antennas like the one
pictured, no copper ground rod going up through the antenna (I
can't even find one like that after some checking around) and I
never found one of those bad either.

That is a testament to proper grounding techniques, and a good
ground system at the base.

Lightning could really care less about your location on the tower.
Often times antennas on the side, half way down the tower will
be destroyed, and a similar antenna on the top is fine.

http://www.polyphaser.com/  when it was privately owned had a
fantastic book - "the grounds for lightning protection".  The owner
had spent his life working in the field, and packed that knowledge
into the book.  If you ever have a chance to get it - do so.

Another great source, but less info as to the WHY, is Motorola
R-56 standards.  EVERYONE should have a copy - there is more
knowledge stuffed into that book than the encyclpedia, when it
comes to installing equipment at a tower site.

Bottom line - if lightning wants your antenna, it matters not where it
is located on the tower.

Don't take your organs to heaven,
heaven knows we need them down here!