While I'm at it.... Next Quesetions....

Im sure the feds will easilly understand why we WISPs want the USF to be
killed.
But, should the feds accommodate the intersts of 1000 WISPs/ISPs or a 100
million rural consumers?
At the end of the day, there is an acknowledged digital divide, and
something needs to be done about it, in the Fed's minds.
As it sits today, do WISPs / small ISPs have enough capitol and funding to
cure it? Can we get broadband to 99% of Americans in 5 years, like AT&T TV
Commercials say they can?  I'd argue not.  Lets lower the sandard.... Can
WISPs/small ISPs accomplish the penetration goals stated in the NBP first
draft?  (I forget what they are exactly , but something like 50mb or higher
to 100 million homes and atleast 5mbps to everywhere else.)  I'd like to
think we could, but honestly I think thats still stretching our capabilty
without assitance.

So how do we propose that the Digital divide be cured, and funded, if USF
gets killed?
Currently, Feds would like to redirect USF funds, and that is targeted as a
potential solution, even if it kills WISPs. (We are expendable, if consumers
get broadband).
If we argue that USF funds are used inefficiently, wont the defense be to
"reform USF" so it will be used efficiently instead? Sure we can argue that
it never will be. But not sure policy makers will accept the answer (or I
should say insult)  that they aren't capable.

I dont think we can effectively argue there is no problem to solve.
Specifically Brian Webster's report supports 24% of America is still
unserved.

So in summary, the question is..... How are we going to fund solving the
rural digital divide in a timely fassion?

I recognize, we could simply reply, "dont know, but USF clearly isn't it,
for X reasons.". But it would be great if we could give them the
alternative.
I recognize this is not an easy question. For example the entire NBP was
written to start to address the answer.

Policy makers are heavilly advocating "for all Americans". I've been asked
and tested by policy makers, with the question, "Can I serve everyone in my
coverag area.". And I have to truthfully say "no, I can not.". That is one
of the reasons feds show favoratism to the ILECs(mini monoplies).  This is a
problem. I'm not sure feds are as worried abouyt efficient use of money as
much as getting the job done. ILECs have a proven record to get it done with
VOIP, why could they not do the same with Broadband, if they got the USF
free handout.

At the end of the day, we need to tell Congress what we need to get the job
done, or if we already have what we need, our better plan that will replace
USF.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband