At 8/20/2010 09:39 PM, Tom DeReggi wrote:
Another great line from Copps (I like Copps):

"I suppose you can't blame companies for seeking to protect their own interests," the Commissioner concluded. "But you can blame policy makers if we let them get away with it."

This is the standard regulatory construct. Regulations are supposed to apply to the corporations, and create a fair field for competition. Violating rules is one way to make excessive profit. Another is to buy regulators so that the rules are tilted in your favor. In the telecom biz, such regulatory capture is the norm.

BUT... He leaves out the reality of, what authority does the government have to "take over" someone else's business and property that they paid for with their own money?

How would you like it, if you owned a Giant food, and you invested money and time to make the shopping market successful, and then after all teh hard work was done and money invested, The givernment came in and said, "We are going to over rule your managers and owners, and we are going to set the prices for consumers, and lower it to jsut a tad over cost, its our store now." American people are going to be afraid to start businesses, if the presidence keeps getting set that the government is going to take over them and regulate them, to the point where the financial reward (ROI) potentially could be at risk. Why should broadband be any different than any other business? The fact is... Regulation and treating Businesses like Utilities KILLS small business and entrepreneurs.

Well, no. Some businesses *are* utilities. It's not a takeover when the utiliity is regulated. Utility law is well established. Utilities are entitled to a fair return on their investment. It's a low-risk business. Not huge profit, but nice work if you can get it.

Grocery stores aren't utilities. The key to a utility is that a) it is not fully competitive (if competitive at all), and b) the difference between cost and value is left to the user, not the utility. In other words the utility doesn't charge as much as it can get away with; it charges enough to make a fair profit, and the user makes profit. Imagine if the electric company figured out how much your business would lose if it didn't have power... that's not their business!

Telephone companies were utilities. They built their networks using utility profits (i.e., basically guaranteed). Then the rules were changed. They were moved to price cap regulation, so profits were uncapped, and they could lay off lots of people to raise their margins. And they were freed of their utility obligations, to make their service offerings available on a wholesale, nondiscriminatory basis. So a telco calls itself an ISP but it can clobber other ISPs because it got its network as a utility. What's the word for this, "bait and switch", or just plain "theft"? Maybe a nice discrete lawyerly term would be "conversion of utility property", noting that in criminal law, "conversion" means theft.

So they should be regulated. Or better yet, split into two companies. A LoopCo would basically only sell outside plant facilities (dark copper and fiber), wholesale, to all comers, and be treated as a rate-of-return utility. Then the ServiceCo could operate as a competitive player, on the same terms as others. But what we have now is a ServiceCo who owns the utility plant and keeps it to themselves.

The problem with the Neutrality movement is that it only knows about the duopoly, the cable and telco ISPs, and proposes regulating all ISPs in a manner that would hurt the big guys a little and the little guys, like WISPs, a lot. So VZ, who is impacted the least, is happy with it. The correct answer is to open the networks, and leave self-provisioned ISPs (WISPs) alone.

 --
 Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
 ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/