Yup, wind will do it, though in a rainstorm I'd expect that the water on the surface of the jacket would provide a good enough path to ground to dissipate the charge.

I would also expect that if your UTP cable is directly attached to the metal tower structure at either end, you wouldn't have any problems with flashover at the ends of the cable as described by Mike Ford. But if there are any long sections of cable that aren't directly touching the tower structure, I suppose it would be possible for the static charge to jump through the cable insulation and reach the ethernet conductors. If you have a lightning protector at either end of the cable, this wouldn't matter much as the energy would go to ground through this instead of through the ethernet chipset in your radio or switch.

Patrick Shoemaker
Vector Data Systems LLC
shoemak...@vectordatasystems.com
office: (301) 358-1690 x36