I have the RB1000 and 1100s in production here as core routers (450G, 750G,
493AH's as tower-site routers, OSPF back to the core RB1x00s). Transitioning
all our customers to them (about half done). Been stable so far, aside from my
configuration screw-ups. Our only x86 device is running our user manager so we
could throw more CPU at it and keep it out of the routing path, had been
running the UM on one of the RB1000s but it was taxing the CPU.

You could combine an RB1000 or other RB/x86 with a managed switch to pipe VLANs
to more physical ports, we do that in some applications also.

-Paul