The practical problem with this is that much of the 24vdc POE equipment
(like UBNT and Mikrotik) doesn't like more than 25 volts or so. They
sort of expect voltage drop rather than voltage increase. A 24vdc
battery system will be about 28 volts in actuality.

That issues aside, it is an efficient and simple way to power things and
not much different than an efficient solar system except you have almost
unlimited power from the charger(s) for less initial expense than the
solar system. The usual transformer based auto part store battery
chargers aren't all that efficient. If you do this, go with something
with a switching power supply if efficiency is important. There are many
choices and places like jameco/jdr/ebay can get you all you want. Just
make sure your power supplies wattage can handle the loads+charging.

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 09:51:55AM -0400, David Sovereen wrote:
> With nearly all of our equipment being 24V DC, is anyone running their sites
> off of batteries connected to an AC battery charger?  I'm envisioning
> something like a solar setup, but instead of using solar panels to charge
> the batteries, you use an AC-powered battery charger.  This would eliminate
> the AC to DC to AC to DC conversion that a typical UPS setup would
> introduce, making the efficiency far better and the run-times far longer.
> I'm thinking I would like to do this (I need to revamp our UPSes everywhere
> anyway) but am not sure of what pieces and parts I need or if this is a
> terrible idea that I should run away from.
>
> Dave
> ==============================
>  MERCURY NETWORK CORPORATION
>  David Sovereen
>  989-837-3790 x 151
>

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Robert West <robert.w...@just-micro.com>wrote:
>
> > Sadly.............  My last UPS I built was from parts pulled outta the
> > dumpster behind the local defunct Gold Star Chili Store.   Salvaged the
> > EXIT
> > sign.  2 6v batteries and charging/switch board.
> >
> > I live a strange life.
> >
> > Bob-

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/