From: "Vyacheslav Vasilyev" <s...@unidata.com.ua>
Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2010 3:50 PM
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] mikrotik vs ubiquiti

2010/9/5 Jeromie Reeves <jree...@18-30chat.net>

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Vyacheslav Vasilyev <s...@unidata.com.ua>
wrote:

What is a Rockets PPS with airmax on?

Ubnt does not recomend to use Airmax On in ptp due to  lower performance.
We did not test  it.
 Ubnt ,  MT  and any other atheros 802.11n based products  have  aprox
equal max throughput in  standard 802.11n mode.
But when airmax and nstreme are ON  they have  different performance.
Tecnically Airmax is  polling ( round robin algorithm ) like nstreme or
turbocell/ outdoor router Proxim .   Ubnt polling uses latest Atheros
chipset clock timing  ( ubnt  calls it "tdma" ) , that may be usefull only
in ptmp .
 Nstreme 2 is  Nstreme 1, that also  uses clock of atheros chipset
So both  airmax and Nstreme 1,2 can not increase max throughput in ptp in
comparison with standard 802.11n (hardware atheros aggregation On, 2
chains) in ptp in ideal conditions( no interference).
Nstreme 1,2  is able to improve  802.11n link in comparison with standard
802.11n  ( Nstreme Off)  mode in  presence of interference  or/and
multipath fading  due to it's feature of link parameter adaptation
according packets losses rate.
I  do not  know is  Airmax support link adaptation ( modulation ) or not .
I suppose -not yet.

  > We tested TDMA freebsd Sam Lefler MAC 802.11a implementation .at the
simular
> platform ( Alix, CM9) . It  also has poor  throughput at small packet
size
> ( but much better then standard 802,11a)  and it is may be improved  by
> using more powerfull h/w.

Ive read up on Sams work and have been very impressed. I looked at the BSD
TDMA
driver back in late 08 or early 09 (been a while), when I did it was
missing glue and needed
a bit of polish. It looked like adding GPS sync to it would have only
been a matter of getting
2 or more AP's to hold then start on the same signal and keep the
timing windows synced.

 Software TDMA  Linux/freebsd  implementation  based on 802.11 chipset
hardware is separate issue . I  think it may be useful  in ptp and our test
showed promising results. With regards to ptmp  IMHO it is not viable.
There is standard fixed TDMA BWA  techhology called fixed wimax
802.16-2004/2009. There is  802.16-2004 miniPCI cards - ASIC hardware TDMA
implementation . There is TDMA 802.16-2004  BS/CPE  Linux based software.
For what  a lot of people want full software TDMA implemenation?
 Vyacheslav Vasilyev
  UNIDATA
  Fixed  BWA solution

----